Veneers happen to be one of the cosmetic goodies among the numerous dental makeover techniques available today. Most amazingly, this procedure made its way into the dental world quite accidentally! It was one of the Californian film actors who needed a slight reshaping of his original set of teeth for the purpose of a movie. To attain this objective, Charles Pincus in 1928 invented the veneers which was consequently fabricated to acrylic veneers later in 1937. Thereafter, denture adhesives were used to hold the veneers in place.
So you can well imagine that as far as technology is concerned, this cosmetic makeover technique is quite an element dating back to the pages of history! Remarkably thus, the efficacy of veneers, especially while considering small but significant cosmetic changes in one’s teeth, scores significantly well. Let us get a quick glance of the type of flaws that are addressed by a veneer treatment:
- 1Discolored teeth that have turned brownish or yellowish
- 2A dental trauma that has slightly cracked or chipped your tooth
- 3Small, unwanted gaps in between the teeth
- 4Misalignment of the teeth (which might require the lengthening of some teeth)
Become an Approved Veneer Candidate First
There are certain qualities that a candidate for veneer must possess and they are as follows:
- Good overall health
- No signs of tooth decay
- No signs of any gum disease
- You cannot be a habitual teeth grinder
- The candidate’s bite should be properly aligned, and the teeth somewhat in normal positions
- Sufficient tooth enamel so that a thin layer of it can be scrapped off for the veneers to be applied.
After being the right veneer candidate, you and your dental team are partners in designing your perfect smile! Now, why would you choose veneers as your preferred mode of cosmetic treatment? Veneer virtues are many indeed. to list a few are:
- They are durable, hard and strong
- They are translucent and glassy in texture.
- They (porcelain) are stain resistant.
- Porcelain veneers mimic the light reflecting properties of your natural tooth the best.
- The gum tissue in your mouth is most compatible with the porcelain material.
- They allow you to stick to your normal oral care habits like brushing and flossing.
How Closely would a Veneer Resemble your Original Teeth?
This translucence of veneers allow your natural tooth color to come through. Again, while being fabricated in the lab, your original tooth shade can be imparted to your set of veneers. The selection process of your veneer shade has three are three aspects to it:
In the costly and complex world of dental veneers, the best work is undetectable.The thin porcelain covers instantly correct everything from unsightly discoloration, chips and gaps to malformed, misaligned and worn-down choppers. And the finest veneers look born-this-way natural.
- Color Tone – The natural tones of human teeth are: red, blue and yellow
- Chroma – The intensity of the color or shade
- Value – The darkness or brightness of the particular tint.
Veneers & its various types:
With an overall idea about how your veneer treatment could be, it is most essential that you are aware of the different types of veneers that are available with modern day dentistry. Within the ambit of a broad classification, your veneer treatment could be any one among these:
This is the most commonly used veneer. It is long been used in cosmetic dentistry because of:
- Its unique ability to match the look of natural teeth.
- Strong enough to last long.
- The high-quality ceramic reflects light in much the same way your natural teeth do.
- They are custom-made and hence give you the exact look you desire.
Lumineers come ready-made, but are made of a special porcelain that blend and allow them to be still thinner while maintaining their same strength and luster.
Composite resin resembles that same material which is used to perform tooth-colored fillings that are required to fill cracks and chips. Composite resin however, offers a low-cost, quick solution to your cosmetic dental needs. They may not last as long as other forms of veneers, and will sometimes get damaged more easily than their porcelain counterparts too. So, composite resin veneers should be ideally opted for when the alterations that need to be made are minimal.
CEREC, is a technology that allows the making of veneers within the same day. It stands for Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics and depends upon the CAD-CAM technology to craft the veneers on the same day of your dental appointment. The CAD used 3D imaging to get perfect mold of your teeth and CAM (Computer Aidied Milling) assists the dental team to tailor your veneer on that very day! Most importantly, the benefits reaped are:1. A second dental visit to get the final veneers fitted is not required.2. The need to wear a temporary veneer is eliminated, as you get your own custom-made ones on that very day.Over the years, veneers have evolved in several forms, that are advanced both in form and technology. The right of cosmetic restoration that would suit your dental health as well serve the intended purpose can be decided upon consultation with your dentist only. A veneer could perfectly craft your smile in a way that would amaze the entire world around you!