Is Sedation Dentistry Right for Me?
It’s important not to take any chances when it comes to caring for your teeth and gums. Visiting the dentist regularly is essential if you want to prevent dental diseases and other dangerous medical conditions. However, many people experience “dental anxiety” or “dental phobia” and find it difficult to schedule an appointment. Luckily, Bleu Dentistry offers sedation dentistry for patients who need treatment but are suffering from intense dental anxiety.
You may benefit from sedation therapy if you:
- Experience intense dental anxiety
- Have a strong gag reflex
- Are resistant to numbing agents
- Have a neuromuscular disorder
- Fidget or find it difficult to stay still during procedures
Sedation dentistry is a safe and effective practice that can lightly or completely sedate you for the duration of your dental appointment or procedure. Countless patients benefit from this practice and are elated to finally receive essential preventative care treatments without experiencing overwhelming stress or anxiety.
The most common types of sedation procedures include:
- Nitrous oxide: Commonly known as “laughing gas,” nitrous oxide naturally relaxes patients and wears off relatively quickly. Most patients can go about their day once the sedation wears off.
- Oral sedation: Oral sedatives are pills that must be taken an hour before a dental appointment or procedure. This option significantly relaxes patients and helps them endure difficult dental treatments. While you may be conscious during the procedure, you likely won’t remember any of it later. Your recovery time may take longer, so it’s important to have someone available who can drive you home.
- Intravenous Sedation: This is the most extreme sedation option. Most patients tend to sleep through their procedures and may take some time to wake up. Again, it’s important to have someone available to transport you home.
Schedule an Appointment Today!
The type of sedation you require depends on your personal situation and dental needs. At Bleu Dentistry, we understand how difficult it can be to make positive oral health decisions when you’re suffering from anxiety or other personal circumstances. We offer sedation dentistry because we don’t want you to have a stressful appointment. Rather, we aim to provide our patients with comfortable, beneficial dental experiences. For this reason, please don’t hesitate to contact us regarding any concerns or fears you may have about your visit.
Contact Bleu Dentistry at (214) 699-6344 if you’re ready to schedule an appointment at our cozy Dallas office.